Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fragrant Plants for Zone 7

So, I've been working on expanding some of my gardens this year. These are some Zone 7 recommended plants:
--Dianthus (perennial)
--Sweet Pea (1'-3' dwarf or 4'-6'; some are perennial)
--Lavender (perennial)
--Sweet Alyssum (annual)
--Garden Phlox (3'-4'; perennial)
--Roses (perennial)
--Lilac (grows up to 20' tall; perennial)

Most of the perennials I have in a garden at the house. I love perennials & bulbs; they may not be as showy as annuals, but they come back year after year so you can depend on them. I have a rose garden, which is one of my favorite spots in the yard ... it has 5 roses around the border and is filled with dahlias. This spring, I planted an orange phlox variety (bare root) this spring ... I haven't seen it grow yet, but I'm not willing to give up on it after the peonies all sprung up this year even though I only saw two of them have any leaves last year and they were planted bare root as well!) So, my bare roots are teaching me patience. This is the first year I've planted sweet peas. I was actually surprised to see them come up after the seeds got 'misplaced' when my greenhouse toppled this spring ... but I found 6 small sweet pea plants chilling out in a couple of my gladiolus pots; So, I've relocated them to their own pots, and we'll see how they grow! :) From the list of perennials, I don't have dianthus or lilac yet. I plan on planting dianthus from seed next spring and the lilac I don't have a place large enough for so it will just have to wait! As for sweet alyssum, it's not my favorite of the annuals so it probably won't find a place in my garden, but that's simply personal preference ... maybe it can find a place in yours?

Off to read more about heirloom gardens tonight ... I'm sure I'll blog about those at some point...

No comments:

Post a Comment