Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Slugs ... Ewww!!!

So for those who don't know, I have a dog named Saber who I lovingly refer to as "a pet rock". He's quite lazy, which isn't really surprising since he was bred to be a lap dog (He's a Havanese). Anyway, when he came in one evening with a slug crawling up the back of his leg (giving affirmation to his longstanding nickname!), I decided that it might be time to find a better way to control the slugs in our yard. I had been picking them off and salting them, which kills them. But as most of you know, the slugs you see are only a small portion of the problem! Neither my husband or I drink beer so I started looking for another alternative. Reading in a book my in-laws sent my husband and I, I found out that an alternative to beer for slug baiting is Coca-cola! Now while they mention Coke by name, I'm sure that the off brands will work just as well as they say it is the acid in the soda that kills the slugs and that they're attracted to the sweet soda smell. So, I'm going to try this. One way they recommend doing this is by cleaning yogurt cups, cutting 1"x2" holes in the sides and placing the cup in a hole such that the holes are 1/8" above the ground. They recommend placing a terra cotta saucer over top to give some shade to the area as slugs prefer shade. So, I'm going to try this and I'll let you know how it works. And if it doesn't work, I might have to find some beer & more salt to use :-O Happy Slug Hunting!

1 comment: